The problem is...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 10:37 (3993 days ago) @ Xenos

I feel like newer games with xp leveling is a big problem, (Maybe rankings in general?) because people can just grind. Reach was the first Halo game I felt like that, H3 had rankings, but it did take skill to reach high rankings, where as Reach and H4 both only require time to reach your visible rank.

This is something that always confounded me. Halo 4 I definitely agree fits what we're talking about because your level did affect gameplay since you couldn't play with certain weapons or abilities until you earned them. Halo Reach though I was always surprised how many people were affected by the leveling system. I personally did not play for the experience, I played because the game was fun and mostly just ignored the experience. Sure I'd use it to buy armor but never played TO GET the armor. I realize that some people still don't like the system because you can't get some of the armor without playing for a really long time, but I still am of the opinion that if you don't enjoy playing the game why are you playing it to earn an item that you only experience in the game (that you don't enjoy)?

Perhaps I need to clarify! Sometimes my ramblings can be confusing even to me.
So for Reach, which I loved, I played because it was fun. I didn't play for the armor or "title status" however because they are implemented, I noticed them, even though I didn't want to. My main comparison here is that in Halo 3 being a General was tied to your skill level (right? At least that's how I remember it) but in Reach, there is no visible skill level (except in the Arena) only XP level. So to get to Mythic status didn't depend on skill, rather gathering XP which could be done in any game mode, not just MP.
I was super excited to break the level 40 barrier in Halo 3, but in Reach and Halo 4 SR I don't have that drive because its just a number based on how long you've played.

To me the line is drawn when these systems directly affect gameplay, like Halo 4 or CoD for example where you can't use a weapon that someone else can because you've only been playing for 20 hours while they've been playing for 80. This has negative impacts because it can create a false idea of "I'm not enjoying the game now, but that's because all I can play with is the Assault Rifle, but when I get the DMR, ooooh man, it's going to SO MUCH FUN!" If you think that about cosmetic items (especially in a first person game, I'm not even sure what to say.

I absolutly agree with this statement. I don't play for the armor, rather when I happen to unlock armor I look at it and say, "So what did I do to get this? Why couldn't have been unlocked from the start?"

So yeah, items that affect gameplay I have more problems with, which is why COD and Battlefield have always turned me off. Halo 4 went in that direction and it bothered me, but I got over it because I had enough fun still playing. It'll be interesting to see what direction both Halo 5 ans Destiny go in regards to this issue.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread