Once again, Mr. Miller has it backwards

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 12:25 (4015 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Focusing on a FUTURE REWARD is detrimental to present enjoyment. Argument still there, since thinking ahead 4 turns in Civ is not thinking about some stupid reward.

Ah, we're getting to the heart of it. Rewards are stupid when you think they are.

I think this isn't the either/or thing you make it out to be. Some rewards might motivate me to change my style of play, and in the process discover new things to enjoy about the moment-to-moment gameplay. (I learned to appreciate the fun to be had with stickies going for the Lee R. Wilson Memorial achievement.)

I also have free will. I can choose not to pursue rewards that are not fun for me to pursue. That's why the only Halo game in which I have all achievements is ODST, which, interestingly enough, doesn't have any competitive multiplayer achievements.

About achievements, the bulk of the ones I've gotten I've not gotten on purpose, so there's no way you can say the existence of those rewards in any way detracted from my fun or, in your words, always devalued my game experience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread