Different ideas of fun... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 22:35 (2348 days ago) @ Funkmon

Zero comparable legendary guns, even with the worst possible roll, were worse in Destiny 1.0 than in Destiny 2. The grind for better guns is trying to make your Corolla a Ferrari. Destiny 2 has given everyone a Citroën 2CV. No upgrade ever. You're literally complaining about being able to get good guns.

This gives people a common goal so they can play online with their friends and work towards something. Yes, they can play the game with their friends for no goal, but something feels better about accomplishing something than accomplishing nothing other than killing time.

Cheapley is completely straw manning the other point of view. You play for fun. Loot is fun. I have played a lot of games instead of Destiny, because I think "I want to have fun. I can have fun playing Destiny for no reason with nobody, or I can play OOTP Baseball and get the Tigers to their 56th consecutive World Series, or play Madden and break every single franchise record, or go poison my neighbour's pets when they go into my yard. All else being equal, I'm going to pick the fun that has accomplishment built in.

You guys are shitting on this design for absolutely zero discernible reason to me. Yeah, now you don't have to grind a strike 50 times for a gun. Guess what? You didn't last game either. You just could. I cannot understand why you guys think a game with added incentives to play more and beyond the story, is somehow worse than a game which has no added incentive to play beyond the story.

What you are complaining about is the opportunity to get more stuff.

The main thing here that I don’t agree with is the “loot is fun” angle you’re presenting. It’s not specific enough for me. USING loot is fun. But grinding the same activities for months in order to “earn” loot is absolutely not fun. And that’s where D1 repeatedly got in its own way. Guns like Fatebringer were SO MUCH FUN to use. They made the act of playing Destiny more enjoyable. But in order to use them, we had to grind the game into the ground, burning ourselves out on the game in the process. That’s why so many Destiny fans seem so continuously bitter towards the game; the fact that accessing the best parts required insane amounts of repitition of the less-fun parts (playing the raid over and over with boring weapons in order to get the fun weapons, or playing strikes over and over just to level up and play the raid).

Destiny 2 largely removes that loop, and that is purely a good thing, IMO. The problem, as you described, is that none of the weapons in Destiny 2 match the more crazy and fun weapons in Destiny 1 in terms of the pure enjoyment they add to the experience. Fun weapons and armor bring their own intrinsic replay value to the game far better than any grind to collect more stuff. Using Fatebringer made D1 wesome, but I would have enjoyed it even more if I wasn’t 90% sick of the game by the time I got Fatebringer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread