Weapon upgrade system (Destiny)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 16:35 (2348 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I would have much rather had a system in place where you can unlock perks on a weapon based off of using it. Say something like every 200 kills in PvE you unlocked an upgrade or every 50 kills in PvP with that weapon you'd unlock something else.

You mean like the system in D1? Personally, I hated that. I was so glad that guns were "whole" with no extra work in D2.

The D1 system was a pile of hot garbage. You spent tons of time unlocking perks only to find out that the gun was trash.

I'm probably in the minority on this idea. But I'd love to see all the variations of the same archetype of a weapon go away. Just give us a fully usable High RoF auto (or whatever) from the moment we receive it, no grinding to level it. Then as we use it more it could unlock something for that weapon. This could be a weapon skin for getting 200 EZD kills with that weapon for example. From that point on, that skin is forever unlocked for you to use on that weapon, even if you change skins to something else.

I'm thinking of the potential perks as more of a crafting system than a leveling system. You get weapon A, and then mod with passive perk 1, passive perk 4, active perk 3. If you don't like the perks, you can change them without having to grind for another random version of the weapon you wanted. keep the mods within reason, but don't have 6 different versions of the same archetype that are different skins of the same base gun just with a small subset of perks. Just have one weapon per archetype that you can use and build to your liking. This would have made things a lot better in D1. I probably have a few dozen weapons that have great perk synergies sitting in my vault that have a scope I hate because RNG decided to give me a weapon I would 90% love instead of 100%.

If I remember correctly, Titanfall 2 has a pretty good weapon crafting system. I just hate all the dumb RNG that is forced on Destiny.

I'm just thinking for us to "become legend" that Destiny forces so much RNG on us that you luck into legend rather than build your own story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread