I think you guys are thinking about it the wrong way. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 08:49 (2348 days ago) @ Funkmon

You're seeing guns that you think should be there all the time. They can't do that; that's a balance issue. If they were easy to get, all we'd see is posts about Thorn or god roll Felwinters Lies and how they're unfair. Er...

Look. As legendaries became easier to get, they have to make them shit to compensate. They can't have everyone on God mode.

What you guys want is IDKFA on from the get go. That's not reasonable. In order to allow some guns to be good, they HAVE to be rare, or the whole game is now easy and people only use those guns.

You two see Ayers Rock and say "well we need to level that bullshit. I'm not going to work my whole life just to hope to get enough expendable income to go see Uluru. Obviously these cool looking rocks can exist, and it's unfair for God to have not given ME an Ayers Rock in my city." Then God (Bungie), sets rock size to lesser than 1 meter, because he can't have the entire planet be huge fucking rocks, that ruins his design. The rarity of the big ass rock was what made it special.

I understand the appeal of playing a game with every single possibility unlocked already. I like that. But we know what Bingle does in the interest of balance when people bitch about it. They nerf. They have made things better precisely once with the house of wolves shotgun buff. Everything else has been nerf, nerf, nerf.

We know from their behaviour that asking for what you're asking for is a virtual guarantee that the guns get worse. That is what it has meant at every. Single. Point. in this game. Yes, it theoretically means everyone gets Fatebringer. It practically means we get Destiny 2.

But “rare” does not equal “good”. Good = good. Yes there is the unarguable fact that people are drawn to exclusivity, they want what they don’t have, etc... that’s not what I’m talking about (although that is very much what D1 was built around).

What I’m talking about is the fact that 90% of the weapons in D1 were boring to use, and the 10% that we’re actually fun were locked behind a combination of huge time investments and RNG. I’m not necessarily saying that everything should have been unlocked right from the very start (although I might not be opposed to that), I’m saying that when you make a game, you want the player’s time with that game to be enjoyable. So you give them fun stuff to do. And if the game is really fun, people will play it over and over and over. D1 failed in this regard, up front. They put a bunch of boring stuff up front, and only after an insane amount of playtime did the good stuff become available, slowly, through a drip feed.

I know you are adamant in your stance that D1 offered players the “choice” to grind or not, and that is technically true... but I don’t see it as a fairly weighted choice. You *could* choose not to grind and be stuck with a boring, inferior version of the game. Or you could *choose* to grind for hours and hours to get to the stuff worth playing with. We can question the reasoning behind making those choices, but I’d rather go straight to the source and call out the shitty design choices that lead to that dynamic at all.

Destiny 2 eliminates those problems, and I applaude Bungie for that. Unfortunately, D2 falls flat on its face when it comes to including gear that is exciting enough to create replay value. But IMO, THAT is the problem or weakness to focus on. The GEAR itself, not the endless grind that it took to acquire the gear in D1.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread