I think you guys are thinking about it the wrong way. (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 11:12 (2348 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Right. Most of the fun guns are fun because they are good, with some exceptions like the tractor cannon. Make the game harder, they are less fun. This is the bullet sponge effect.

If you want all the best guns at the beginning, do you play Doom with the BFG always out? You might sometimes, but I bet you don't.

You're saying you have to grind to have the most fun experience the game can provide. Yes, I agree. What you're saying now is that because all the guns are worse, the game is better.

Destiny had those insane rolled guns in there because they were rare. They didn't have to balance for them. You know what happened once enough people got them? Bungie balanced the guns with nerfs, ruining the fun. Your idea that they set some kind of fun level, then make guns that are 60% fun, then make Fatebringer at 100% fun is false, and can be shown, again, by them nerfing things as soon as enough people get them, every single time. That cannot be refuted. Every gun deemed too good, fun, and prevalent has gotten a nerf. I defy you to provide me with an example otherwise. Occam's razor suggests that they only bother balancing when a critical mass is reached.

What they did is set a fun level at about that of TDYK and the Alphabet Soup and Shadow Price, and then allowed some game breaking good rolls and really good rolls on raid guns because they are rare and didn't really need to be balanced. Again, we can see this, as the very moment good rolls became prevalent, the guns were nerfed.

Destiny 1 is a dinner where, if you eat enough steak, you can get some candy. You're not a big fan of steak so it will take you a while to get some candy.

Destiny 2 is a dinner where, if you eat enough steak, you ate steak. You get no candy. You want to deprive people of the candy because you think it's unfair that some people get candy who like steak earlier than you. You would rather there be no candy.

There is no world where we all have the all powerful über guns we each specifically want in an always online loot game. They will be patched out. These guns will always be in the hands of a select few for a select time. The rest of people will have to deal with slightly less desirable guns for themselves. By eliminating the all powerful über guns, distributed roughly equally based on playtime by random chance, you have literally, and objectively, removed fun things from the game. This makes it less fun. By definition.

Yes, you may feel happier, as you may feel a sense of good riddance as someone crashes his Lamborghini into a tree, but the world is now worse because of your desires. Lol.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread