Exactly. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 05:55 (2348 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't see how adding difficult to get, but really fun, guns hurts the experience.

Because it hides those really fun guns behind stupid amounts of playtime, to the point that some people never got to play with them. That’s bad. Almost inexcusably so.

You’re conflating two different arguments. You can have really fun guns in the game without having to run the same activity 50 times in the hope of getting one. Destiny 2 not having a Fatebringer isn’t the same issue as Destiny 2 not having a stupid grind, and I will always argue that hiding the best stuff behind lucky drops is a stupid, awful way to design a game.

That’s along the lines of what I’m getting at as well. I wouldn’t expect to turn on Destiny 1 and have all the best weapons immediately available to me (although there is something to be said for having an insanely fun weapon to use right out of the gate... Halo CE pistol, anyone?). But having a crazy and fun variety of weapons available all at once early on would make the game a joy to play, because you could keep things feeling fresh and exciting all the time.

Instead, Destiny 1 chose to take the drip-feed approach. Play the game for 40 hours, and you might end up with 1 or two fun weapons. Another 40 hours, maybe another couple great weapons. Or maybe not. This drip-feed means many players are already sick of everything they have by the time they get another fun item. It’s far better to have a bunch of fun weapons to play with available to you early on, when the rest of the content is still new and exciting for you.

This all plays into why I think the RPG 1-20 climb is terrible for the game (both in D1 and D2). Destiny’s combat sandbox isn’t nearly as fun when you remove all the cool powers and abilities. But that’s exactly what Bungie does during your first experience with the campaign. I don’t feel like I’m really playing DESTINY until I’ve got all my powers unlocked and a selection of cool gear to use... but by then all the content is played out.

If I somehow skipped the first 300 hours of D1... like if I just inherited an account from somebody who had already gotten a bunch of cool gear and unlocked all the class abilities, then I’d probably have way more fun with it than I had with D2. But as it stands, the best parts of D1 (which I fell ARE better than anything in D2) were too few, too far between, and came too late into the experience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread