Yes, exactly. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 12:11 (2348 days ago) @ Funkmon

Except gear in vanilla wasn't boring. The alphabet soup scout rifle with field scout, explosive rounds, and Firefly was buyable for anyone. The Devil You Know was arguably the best hand cannon available, and a top roll was available for purchase. The Vanquisher ruled the crucible. We all loved our vanguard Shadow Prices.

Iirc, Bungie said that the intent was not to get gear from drops (outside of the raid), but to get gear from buying it. Legendaries were so rare because they were all good.

Remember when TDB came out and all the guns were crap? Remember Gothalian acting like an absolute maniac asking for the high impact auto rifles because they were gone from the game? That's what you get when the guns are easy to come by. You must be remembering the craptastic TTK guns or HOW guns and stuff.

FFS, I used my vanilla guns that weren't retroactively nerfed into oblivion (proof of how good they were) in crucible until the end of the game. Light/BEWARE was always available on my dude for some fusion kills.

I think we’re talking slightly past each other... or at least partially. I’m not judging weapons based on effectiveness or efficiency. I’m talking about how “fun” they are (which is a vague and subjective umbrella). There were plenty of effective weapons in D1... but IMO, most of them were boring AF to use. Yes, Fatebringer was insanely overpowered compared to many other weapons, and that influenced how fun it was to use, but it also felt good, sounded awesome, and caused things to explode all around you. It was crazy FUN. My favourite weapon in D2 is the Tractor cannon. Often useless, but I laugh every time I pull the trigger.

In terms of effectiveness, the weapons in D2 are mostly fine. They get the job done. They’re just generic and boring for the most part, same as 90% of the weapons in D1.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread