Is D2 Anti-Fun? (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 06:41 (2348 days ago) @ unoudid

I think Destiny 2 is pretty fun. I thought Destiny 1 was fun also.

You're asking if D2 is anti-fun compared to what? Destiny 1? Super Mario Brothers? Sex? Getting your thumb smashed by a hammer? To me, it seems "fun" is something that has to be relative to the available options. Do I want to play Destiny 2 tonight or contact Maytag about our leaking dishwasher we bought last month...D2 wins. (My actual thought process last night.) Do I want to play Destiny 2 tonight or Master Chief Collection? MCC wins. (My actual thought process a few nights last week.)

I've pretty much stopped playing other shooters because they didn't feel as good as Bungie games. Call of Duty hung in there for a while but after Modern Warfare 2, I was tired of purchasing the exact same game every year for what was essentially a PvP experience of getting one-shot in the back, then one-shotting others in the back.

There are two FPS games that stand out in my mind as "game changers" Goldeneye on N64 and Halo on Xbox. Bungie nailed it with the feel and gameplay of Halo. The same feel and gameplay carried into Destiny. It just FEELS good. So anytime I try to play an FPS game, it feels jerky, clunky and not as fun. For my taste, Bungie is a developer that is making games that nobody else is making and they have a certain style that is generally more fun than other fps games.

They are trying to make a game that isn't already out there. I always make the joke that so many people play Call of Duty because they don't have the skill to play Halo or Destiny. Any schmuck can join a CoD game and get some kills but you need some grit to hang in a Bungie game. The fact that they are constantly trying to be different and changing things tells me that they are wanting to evolve and make things better.

(dang this is getting long and I'm worried I've lost focus on my original point.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Bungie doesn't owe us anything. They made a game and we can decide if we like it or not. If you like it, play it. If you don't like it, don't play it. That's what we did "back in my day" and it was great! (arguably, better.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread