Minecraft =/= CAD (Gaming)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 02:22 (2941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The purpose of playing Destiny is not to write. The purpose of playing Minecraft is to build stuff out of blocks. Minecraft is a building game. But other software, such as Maya or Cinema4D or AutoCAD, lets you build things more easily, and with much greater control. Making the enterprise in Minecraft is just hopelessly silly when you could have done it better and more easily in a 3D program.

How does this comparison make any sense to you?
"Minecraft is a building game" ... Exactly, but Maya, C4D, AutoCAD and others are not GAMES; they are purpose-built 3D modeling and rendering and animating tools...they also cost several orders of magnitude more than Minecraft.

I honestly don't know what Minecraft was "designed" to do exactly, but I do know industry-level CAD - I use it on a daily basis - and Minecraft is not intended for that purpose. Simplifying a bit though, Minecraft is digital LEGOs. With your Enterprise-argument, you're essentially saying "it's silly to build with LEGOs when things like sculpting clay and CNC milling machines exist". Except that NO ONE would ever say that because LEGOs are not intended for the purposes that sculptures use clay and machinists use mills. They're not even on the same PLANET, let alone the same 'ballpark'.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread