Good Cody, Bad Cody (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 04:12 (2940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This idea that I am firm and unwavering regarding truth isn't correct. I've changed my stance on many many things over the years, in part due to posts by people like Leviathan and yourself.

You are absolutely firm and unwavering regarding the truth you think you know at the time, right up until you change it, whereupon you because completely intransigent in your new position and abandon the old one, either pretending that the change never happened, or chalking it up to character-building and kissing ass, as you do above.

You're just mad I didn't name you as a source of change :-p

Good god, no. Claude can take that bait if he likes but leave me the heck out of it. You can keep any real or imagined credit for altering your own opinions anything I've ever said might ever have had, and we'll recognize any actual agreement between us as coincidence :)

What you said doesn't make sense. If I am unwavering, how can I ever change my mind?

You're unwavering until you waver. That's my point. You put up a false front of confidence in your beliefs right up until it is unsustainable, and then you put on a show of being open minded and growing as a person and solidify your new belief. You did it right here, in this thread, where you claimed to understand that it was necessary to accept the fact that sometimes you're wrong about things and to be willing to change your mind, and then in the very next breath proclaimed the absolute wrongness and irrelevance of someone else's opinion.

So you've either actually got way more confidence in your opinions than is warranted, or you actually have less, but feel it necessary to project that confidence when expressing your opinion, either because you feel no one will pay attention to it unless you do, or because you feel it necessary to attack other positions pre-emptively to gain an advantage in an upcoming argument. Only you know which, I suppose.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread