I can't get into modern television. (Off-Topic)

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, January 21, 2018, 17:31 (2286 days ago) @ Coaxkez

There are a variety of standard answers that I can fill in here. But the thing I suggest the most to people, regardless of their general taste for things is this:

Watch Hannibal.

It is currently on an indefinite hiatus after Season 3, and the seasons are in the dozen-or-so episodes structure more popular outside of US television. Basically everyone involved is interested in returning for a 4th season whenever the stars are right. It has a mix of police procedural (of the more popular ones it is more like Criminal Minds than anything else - also a good show if you are into that format).

Outside of that a few selections, in alphabetical:
Dark
Reference Stranger Things below, some folks like it more, some like it less. It's in German. I think it's a little less family friendly.
Dark Matter
An "They All have Amnesia episode: IN SPACE" series. It's interesting. I don't really have more I'd want to say because of the way the series starts out. Take a bite, see if it hooks.
Expanse, The
Based on a series of Novels. Colonized solar system. A lot more realistic science fiction than you usually get to witness on TV. I've found it quite enjoyable. Also, I consider Thomas Jane a plus in everything he's in.
iZombie
Based on a comic. Also not based on a comic. Think The Pretender but the main character is a Zombie. It's definitely much more focused than the comic, but it feels much more like a 90's TV show in concept in a good way.
Once Upon A Time
I fell off somewhere in Season 2 due to other events going on. But it's a very charming take on the modern Urban Fantasy/Fairytale genre. Probably the best of the bunch. It is a Disney property, so you see some of that show through, but it does enough interesting things with characters to really make itself its own. Watch it for Mr. Gold if nothing else.
Strain, The
Guillermo Del Toro does vampires in a modern setting. They aren't pretty. They are monsters. I'm pretty sure it's all from notebooks circa his Blade II production. Also, GDT originally pitched it as a TV series, wasn't picked up, and under suggestion, collaborated on some novels which then got it picked up for a TV series.
Stranger Things
Probably one of the best instances of pulling on nostalgia strings. Goonies, E.T., IT, Stand By Me, The Lost Boys. I could name more things that it is ephemerally or more solidly reminding of, but that gets the point. Also, S+ theme/opening and overall soundtrack. Season 2 is familiar to Season 1 but does a pretty solid job of not falling into a hole dug be the quality of the first.
Trollhunters
If you enjoy the SW animations, this is definitely worth being invested in. GDT again on the list. Season 2 was recently released and there are branching series about the town it takes place in (to include Aliens and Wizards) that were apparently part of the idea the whole time. It's fresh and interesting animation and storytelling.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread