You know what made me feel better? (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 08:17 (2283 days ago) @ bluerunner

I hated Dr. Sattler being able to take out those ships with a jump to lightspeed, and the bombs were dumb.

Then I rewatched the movies, and noticed an entire Star Destroyer was taken out by a small fighter suicide running into the bridge in the original trilogy. I don't remember which movie, but I think it was the worst one (ROTJ). Why not Kamikaze all star destroyers?

This confirmed for me that all space battles in Star Wars are stupid. They have no rules.

Once you get past that, the rest of the dumb stuff is okay.

You just have to realize that Star Wars is dumb now, and they've stopped making movies that tell a story about neat things, and have started making movies that have neat things in them with a story that serves those purposes.

I mean, say what you want about the prequels, but it was about the fall of a republic, warmongering, and the failures of the Jedi. The original movies were about the triumph of the people over a totalitarian, oppressive regime, and the redemption of the Jedi. The sequels are about...I guess the triumph of a militaristic sect of the republic against an unsanctioned militia, the failure of the Jedi again, and uhhh...

But the sequels are still good movies, still good to watch, they just have no point anymore. The story isn't worth telling. Rogue One was, so there's hope that at least the one off films will be good for SW fans.

Again, they've taken the rules for space battles and applied them to the whole movie. If you accept that, you enjoy the new ones more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread