Kind sir, you are doing me a boggle. (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:17 (2256 days ago) @ stabbim

I don't have a problem with the force stuff. Throughout the original movies Luke is said to be strong with the force, indicating he was special. Yoda said as much. It's essentially confirmed with the conversation between Luke and Leia in ROTJ that it's a special gift. Anyone can gain knowledge of the force and use it, but few can manipulate it. Those few can be Jedi.

There's also plenty of precedent in the old EU for the idea that The Force isn't necessarily just a passive resource for those special few to use. It can also be thought of as a living entity with goals all its own (play KotOR II: The Sith Lords for some interesting perspective on that), and sometimes those people who are strongly connected to The Force can find events happening around and to them which help achieve those goals. If The Force needs a certain person to prevail, that's what's going to happen, and it may act through them to make it so, even if they have no training or don't even know that The Force exists (check out the Darth Bane trilogy for a bit on that). The point being that it's not rule-breaking or even that weird for strongly Force-sensitive people to be able to perform extraordinary feats when it's needed. Training can make those things more accessible, and put the person themselves in more control as opposed to just being a passive tool (though a certain KotOR II character would caution that they may be fooling themselves), but extraordinary things tend to happen to these people whether they have training or not. Luke just happening to find R2, Leia just happening to get involved in the Resistance and run across her father, Luke just happening to be a master pilot. These things might not seem as flashy as Rey pulling a lightsaber through the air, but they're nearly as improbable. They happened because that was what was required.

I'll defer to your knowledge regarding the EU. Confession time: I never been a bigger fan of anything than I was for the first two movies. RotJ was slightly disappointing but still great. After that, not so much a fan, although I did enjoy the first two new films. My knowledge of the EU doesn't extend much past Splinter in the Mind's Eye, which was great. I've never seen Clone Wars, and didn't make it far into KotOR.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread