Kind sir, you are doing me a boggle. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 18:34 (2256 days ago) @ Kermit

Rey needs training. No, she doesn't. Luke is here, No, he isn't. Snopes is super powerful. No, he isn't. We need to go to the gambling planet. No, we don't. Self-sacrifice is heroic. No, it isn't. Leia just died. No, she didn't. Yoda is here to uphold tradition. No, he isn't. Kylo is turning. No, he isn't. Guys are dumb jocks. Um, yeah, can't argue with you there.

I don't really have anything to add, I just felt compelled to say I loved it, and it's going a long way towards making Star Wars fun again for me. I really enjoyed The Force Awakens, too, but The Last Jedi is much more interesting and exciting. I genuinely don't agree with most of the complaints about The Last Jedi (except for the wonky pacing, which is more forgivable on repeated viewings).

I don't really like the way the conversation around the movie has played out. I don't like anyone arguing from a stance of "you just didn't get it!"

I really like what they did with the Star Wars universe, and Luke's character especially. It's much more interesting than the old EU where Luke sets up a successful academy and becomes a superhero, training literally everyone in his extended family. I understand why it may have rubbed some folks the wrong way, but I loved washed up, bitter Luke that came back and found his redemption without having to actually pick up a lightsaber again.

I also sort of feel like people get too hung up on the details. I wouldn't tell anyone they're wrong for doing so, but most of the arguments against this new trilogy are equally true for the original trilogy. That feels like a stupid thing to argue, though, and honestly, the whole debate comes off as a little silly the more often I see it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread