I can't get into modern television. (Off-Topic)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, January 21, 2018, 22:27 (2286 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by stabbim, Sunday, January 21, 2018, 22:35

[*]If you haven't seen Game of Thrones yet, at this point it might be best to just wait till it all wraps in 2019. That way, you won't have to wait like the rest of us. It is NOT for 10 year olds.

I agree on this. I mean, it is very good, and part of me wants to say "watch it now." But, like Insane says, it's very close to wrapping, and waiting for the new seasons is TORTURE on account of it being so good.

[*]Stranger Things. It's like Goosebumps, but for the 80's.

Having just watched all of Goosebumps recently, I'm not sure how. ST was originally intended to be an anthology series, sure, but it isn't anymore. Also Goosebumps is shockingly, viscerally terrible until like the middle of the 3rd season.

But anyway, yes on Stranger Things, and I actually need to add to the discussion of it above: I REALLY hate when people go to the nostalgia thing first when talking about that show, because I think it gives the impression that's all it has going on, or it's the main draw, but I really don't think it is. All its old-timey style really does is help you inhabit the world, if you're old enough to have had corded phones and tape recorders and that sort of thing (I have no idea how someone who didn't would process it). What it is, really, is a good story full of memorable characters and great, nuanced performances.

[*]You may have herd of this show called "Breaking Bad". It's broken and it's bad. No one should ever watch it ever./s

Rubbish. Breaking Bad is outstanding. Also, if anyone ever tells you the first 2 seasons aren't good (a common refrain), you should immediately and permanently discount that person's opinion on all stories. They do not understand world building or pacing, and consequently can't really appreciate a good payoff.

Shoot, while I'm at it - ever hear of M*A*S*H?

Oh damn, don't get me started on M*A*S*H. There might not be any show I like more. I've actually eaten at the original Tony Packo's cafe in Toledo, if that means anything to you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread