Yes, this too. (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 15:35 (2274 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Also don’t forget that Luke in the OT gives into Fear and Anger on multiple occasions, especially during the end of the Vader duel in RotJ, and is only stopped from hacking his dad apart by the realization that this is the path he would be led down because he chapped off Vader’s hand.

Luke succumbing to a moment of weakness and stopping himself isn’t outside of the character established in the OT. Especially when he is doing it with a notion that he is protecting something.

He's also prone to giving up, feeling defeated, acting recklessly... Really, the way some people talk about Luke in the OT is very different from the Luke that was actually shown in the OT. He was always deeply flawed, but came through when it mattered most. Which is exactly what he does in TLJ.

He was driven to anger in the OT, yes, but what we witness is someone about to commit premeditated murder. Yes, Luke has always had his insecurities, and BECAUSE OF THAT I have trouble believing he can be 100% sure he must murder his nephew in cold blood. Kylo hasn't been presented to US as wholly evil--he obviously has his own struggles making himself do the evil thing that must be done, which makes it that much harder to buy this Luke-must-kill-baby-Hitler backstory. I can see Luke being beside himself with grief over failure. I can't imagine him as the flippant, pessimistic, bitter old man he is in The Last Jedi. The Luke I knew was human, sometimes easily frustrated (most often with himself), but the concept of the Jedi and the idea of becoming one was obviously his most fervent wish. That he would abandon that idealism so completely is a big deal. We don't see his optimism appear and be broken. We see a brief flashback and hear a description of events, but otherwise we're asked to accept his personality change without question. The kindness and goodheartedness that was his nature is gone and we don't get to see it leave. It's jarring and off-putting, and like I've been saying, seems part of a larger pattern where confounding expectations is the entire point of the film.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread