Wavesplitter was a bug, Pinnacle weapons also disabled... (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 09:14 (1815 days ago) @ Korny

Assuming what people were saying about what caused the bug, I might lose access to four of those because Bungie thinks having a few extra Enhancement cores is too much for the people who ground out those Pinnacle challenges.

You mean, thousands upon thousands an hour. Reacquire them, yes. But if you sharded them, you probably aren't using them very often.

No, not the exploit folks, I mean when you complete the Pinnacle challenge, you can currently grab a copy of the weapon on your other two characters. That's what Bungie was supposedly trying to remove, and which caused the bug in the first place.

Gotcha, I read that wrong, my bad.

Now I have to sit and wait for Bungie to sort their mess because they made an exploit for a tiny fraction of the community.

Please at least be rational. I know you are not happy about this happening and you already don't think too highly about Bungie, but come on man. You are anecdotally saying that this is affecting a large portion of people while it is only giving a gain to a tiny fraction of the community. No one but Bungie knows the numbers. Nothing about this is optimal, but at least stand back from how it affects you and think about it in the shoes of a game developer. This is technically breaking a major system of their game. Yes, to a small portion of the community, but the temporary fix while they get a hotfix out is also only affecting a small portion of the community. If I was a developer I would probably do the same thing. Because I don't think so lowly about Bungie that they put 0 thought into this.

Here's the thing, it was a reactionary change made only an hour into the update going live.

Yep, that's how you stop things from getting worse.

Given how terrible Bungie seems to be at communicating within their own studio (source: Cody's book lol), the tiny fraction of people who could even do the exploit had probably already done it a hundred times over.

Or those are just the people who managed to do it before it was stopped.

Could Bungie have simply looked at the metrics for core acquisition and cut them off? Possibly. But instead, they pre-emptively cut off access to the weapons for the entire playerbase, even though the exploit was 100% unavailable to anyone else other than the tiny group. No matter how small you think the amount of players chasing Pinnacle weapons is (which again, we have three people in a single Crucible team going after them this past week alone).

They stopped the bleeding. And it only temporarily hurts the players who will receive pinnacle weapons during the fixing period. I understand that it will be more people than those that will potentially receive a weapon. This did not stop progress to getting weapons, it just delayed when you receive it. Yes, that sucks. But it doesn't suck as much as the potential of a serious economy disaster. If this bug wasn't for just these small players and Bungie hadn't stopped it immediately it could have been so much worse. Now, the worst that happens is people don't get their Pinnacle weapons immediately.

That's a win in my books.

Note. The way Bungie worded it, Wavesplitter is going to be a Hotfix. The Pinnacle weapons were stated to be unavailable "until a fix can be deployed".

Yeah, they really need to get better at wording those...

And I'm not going to go and say Bungie is stupid.

I mean, they already have a poor track record as far a decision-making as a studio, which was always chalked up to being Activision's fault. But even after the split, they still do stupid stuff. And as Forrest Gump says...

Easy to judge when you're on this side. You are just also condemning now and asking question later.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread