Agreed. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 11, 2019, 06:34 (1813 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When those limited resources are absolutely finite. In Deus Ex you get a set amount of experience as you progress through the game to put toward abilities. You can't grind for it; you get what you get. This is meaningful progression that isn't bullshit. When there is no upper bound to what you can earn it becomes pointless because it's not decision making so much as just a test of how much time you want to spend earning resources. Because you could just grind out cores all day long and power everything up. It's not the resources that are limited: it's your time.

I’m okay with time being a resource, if that time has meaning. If guns could be Masterworked simply by the act of the player using them, it would accomplish much the same thing, but it would feel meaningful. The guns you like would become Masterworked simply because you like them and use them a bunch. Finding the balance of time there would be tricky.

My issue isn’t in spending time with the game. The game is fun. My issue is that largely my time feels wasted doing checklists for bullshit resources. Oh, sweet, let’s knock out some more wanted bounties, as if that’s compelling content.

I am okay with a progression system, I am just tired of having the activities for any real progression being dictated to me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread