I finally got it straight (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, August 10, 2020, 12:38 (1326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The fact that PC games are a thing sort of makes that a silly argument.

No?

PCs are constantly increasing in power. The 'minimum' you can target is always increasing. With a console, the minimum stays the same until the console is retired.

I... what?

I don't understand this logic. People don't upgrade their PC with every new game release; you buy a new PC when your old one is too slow to do what you want. (Yes, you might buy a new graphics card to extend the period between total overhauls, but you aren't doing that every 6 months, either.)

People who build things that require a minimum performance level understand this.

Sure, you could target this year's top-end machine... but you wouldn't sell any units. So you pick a target that's some reasonable length in the past. Everyone else in your industry makes the same calculation, and probably comes up with a similar target.

The Xbox One came out in 2013.
The Xbox One S came out in 2016.
The Xbox One X came out in 2017.
The Xbox Series X will be out in 2020.

Targeting the last console gives you a 1-3 year window, by your math. Which is probably pretty close to the calculation done by PC game makers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread