Nope. (Gaming)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 17:20 (1352 days ago) @ Vortech

Between this footnote and Cody refuting my soft remembrance that a game is not available in physical by linking a preorder form for a game that might ship 6 weeks from now it's an odd day where people tell me I'm wrong and then immediately show me I was right… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When Cody said

The possibility exists of owning an Xbox One S/X, and buying a game only to not have it work because it was designed for Xbox Series S/X.

You replied "And vice versa". Which I took to mean that people who own a Series X/S might buy an XB1/S/X game and have it not work on their system, which isn't true. Sorry if I read it wrong.

Anyway, Backward compatibility does seem to be in a much better state this time around compared to last time when promises of "backward compatibility" turned out to mean "Connect your 360 to the input of the XBONE", or "we assume the cloud will allow this because it's the beginning of the decade at Microsoft and so we assume the cloud will solve everything. TO THE CLOUD!", but also, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. MS seems to have learned that people care about BC and their PC-ification of the XBOX makes that process easier — more like a windows game. But obviously it's not like a One/One X compatibility.

Yeah it's pretty awesome. I think Series X takes the crown for backward compatibility now. Playing all games from XB1, and most from 360 and OGXB.
The 7800, GBA, Wii, and launch PS3 are really good ,too.
I hope they add even more systems, you'd think Sega would jump on that.

(and once again my appreciation for Kinnect features gets the short end of the stick)

It is a little strange, IIRC there is a USB Kinect adapter for XB1 models without a Kinect port. Why not let people plug that into their Series X?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread