I finally got it straight (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 09:09 (1352 days ago) @ Claude Errera

OK, but surely you must also see that it's easier for smaller games to get out into the world through digital. Some of the best Switch games are electronic only. I'm pretty sure Untitled Goose Game is.

Not True.

https://store.skybound.com/products/untitled-goose-game?variant=32624540123211

There's nothing in there that says the game is not presented as a download code. In fact, the wording on the other stuff in the box ("physical goodies") makes that seem more likely, to me.

(It's possible you have evidence somewhere else that shows that a physical version of the game is coming - but this link isn't it.)

EDIT: Never mind. Just followed the image link, and saw the cartridge.

Yeah, but physical availability coming is very different than physical up front. The whole point is that small development studios can't just fork up the money up front to do physical versions. And if gamers expect that to be the defacto model then small companies will just not be able to make games they want to make.

We should be facilitating ease of development of (good) ideas. Digital is the easiest way to do that. Sure, if users want a physical copy later then go for it, but honestly in this day and age I feel like they should pay for the premium that that entails.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread