I finally got it straight (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, August 10, 2020, 15:09 (1348 days ago) @ Vortech

I think Kermit meant between Series X and the (not officially announced Series S) not between the Series* generation and the One* generation

That's what I was talking about, too.

The (not officially announced) Series S will have (according to the article he linked, info based on the profile devs can access on their faster consoles) 7.5GB of usable RAM and 4 teraflops of GPU performance.

Announced specs for the Series X is 16GB RAM and 12 teraflops GPU performance.

Oh. I guess I should really stop speaking for Kermit, but now I'm trying to explain my reply by proxy. I understood him to mean that when there were rumors of a next-gen console from Xbox that would cost less and have less capability, he hoped it would be like the PS5 in that it's the same console for gaming but costs less because it has no optical drive/Blu Ray license, and when he recently started seeing rumors/specs leaked (like what he linked), they disappointed him as it will be a less powerful console. The "could be" phrasing seemed fair given that the console is still unofficial and rumored as of now.

Fair enough. I probably should have stayed out of the conversation altogether, since I wasn't following any rumors at all, and when I read the article he linked (about an as-yet-unannounced Series S) I simply assumed that MS was doing exactly what they did in the last generation (S meant 'slim', the base model, while X was the pro model), not realizing that there existed a rumor mill that described something totally different.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread