I finally got it straight (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 10, 2020, 13:32 (1352 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, August 10, 2020, 13:36

My point is that it’s totally possible to target both. PC devs don’t just target minimum specs and call it a day. They also make it better for high end specs. 343i could do what amounts to the same thing. And I’m sure they did. It just didn’t show well in that demo.

Ahhh but that is just in areas that are scalable, such as resolution, frame rate, and graphical options.

You can't turn down 'gameplay' options like AI or physics calculations (I realize there are 'cosmetic' physics options, but I'm talking about those that mechanically effect the game). Otherwise you aren't really playing the same game. Oh, this racing sim doesn't run well. I'll turn down the physics calculations. Meanwhile your car handles differently now, and you can't race against others online because their physics are different. Oh, this city simulator game runs too slow, I'll make the traffic simulations less accurate… which now changes the game. This VR game spends so much time tracking my input and interpreting the controllers. I'll put that on 'low'.

Some things in your game are simply not scalable. You couldn't just scale Halo down and have it work on a PS1.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread