I finally got it straight (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, August 10, 2020, 12:47 (1353 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't understand this logic. People don't upgrade their PC with every new game release; you buy a new PC when your old one is too slow to do what you want.

As a PC game developer, you are not targeting individual people, but people collectively. Nor do PC gamers only play game from one developer.

Sure, you could target this year's top-end machine... but you wouldn't sell any units. So you pick a target that's some reasonable length in the past.

Yes, and as time marches on that 'time in the past' becomes later and later. If you're targeting hardware say, 5-6 years old as a PC dev, then in 5-6 years, you're now targeting faster hardware!

I'm under the impression that by 2021 we'll see games announced that won't support OG XBox One. And hell quickly after that, games that, taking full advantage of the memory/HD architecture of the XBSX, won't run on anything except the XBSX and XBSS (dear god this is so confusing).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread