Hold up, you're confusing me. (Gaming)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, August 10, 2020, 13:09 (1326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was hoping that "somewhere between" meant only that the Series S did not have a disc drive. Alas, it looks like there could be performance differences.

I have no doubt in my mind someone will buy a next gen game thinking it works with the Xbox One S, only to discover that they can't play it because it needs and Xbox Series S.

And if developers have to target hardware down to the Xbox One (like Halo Infinite is doing), then what's the point of having a new console?

From the information I've seen, I got the impression that I COULD buy a next gen game and play it on my current Xbox One S...it's just going to be a dummied down version of the game. This Smart Delivery that keep talking about sounded like it would recognize your console and display the proper "graffix".

From their site:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-future-of-xbox/

"We are also investing in technology that makes game ownership easier across generations. This is especially true with our new Smart Delivery technology, which ensures you only have to purchase a title once, knowing you will get the best version of the title on whatever Xbox console you choose to play on. This will allow players to seamlessly move between multiple consoles and console generations as they see fit. All our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles that are optimized for Xbox Series X, including Halo Infinite, are committed to using Smart Delivery too. Gamers can have confidence when they purchase games in the Xbox ecosystem that your investments and progression move forward with you to the next generation."

Now the way that is worded, it doesn't give me the impression that a "series" game could be played on a "one" console. Seems like more of a backwards compatibility thing.

So which way is it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread