Scale (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 04:51 (3547 days ago) @ DaDerga

There are four worlds to visit: Earth, the Moon, Mars and Venus. And within each of those just one place to explore. You must have seen the debate about the size and scope of the game on day one. What's your take on that debate?

Jonty Barnes: If I'm honest with you, it blew my mind, because it's the biggest game we've ever made. I don't think people understand the depth and amount of gameplay there is in Destiny. It was a big beta. So the first thing, I was like, well that was a huge beta. I don't understand how people could have that concern when you think about that and all the different planets we're going to open up and the gameplay we've got there.

It seems strange to me that the reason why people have that concern is something he doesn't understand. I thought people had been pretty clear in talking about how the reveal trailer talked about being able to explore all the way out ‘to those mountains’, how the areas are all more or less linearly-connected, and of course, the natural assumption that (with other locations on Earth having been teased) that we'd get to visit more places than just Old Russia.

Not that I think it's likely that Destiny will feel ‘small’, but there seems to be a disconnect between fan expectations and the way Bungie are thinking about this stuff internally if they don't understand why people might have those expectations.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread