Oh please... (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 07:55 (3547 days ago) @ PackLeader89

So are you saying there is a problem is Bungie wanting people to foster communication outside of the game? So if I am Bungie and I want to create a game where motivated people pursue relationships and communication OUTSIDE of the four corners of your TV, then that is a problem? I actually think that is very bold of Bungie and I applaud them for it.

First of all, let me say that I try my utmost to post things that I think are significantly important. If all I did was bemoan personal issues that I doubt many others would care about, I could quickly litter DBO with posts (and needlessly further my reputation as a curmudgeon). What I'm talking about here isn't something that I think will affect just me, but many, many players. If you take a game like Destiny that is likely to have millions of players, then a problem that affects any substantial percentage of those players could end up affecting hundreds of thousands, if not millions of others.

are you saying there is a problem is Bungie wanting people to foster communication outside of the game?

There's a difference between wanting to foster communication outside of the game and requiring that all significant communication in what is essentially a social game take place outside of the game. I have a big problem with any game (at least, those that are aiming for mass market success in the way that a triple-A console title does) that offload core activities of the game to outside of the game. That's a failing of design in my view; a game should be self-contained for all the things that are essential to playing that game. If it isn't, that changes the scope of requirements from a TV, a console and an internet connection to include a whole bunch of other things. It's fine to let these other things augment the experience, but they shouldn't be mandatory.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread