That's just your opinion man (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 22, 2014, 08:53 (3546 days ago) @ kapowaz

There are these things called plans. Many activities that are worthwhile require them. Effort outside the game correlates to commitment in-game.

So I understand you correctly, are you saying that your response to the kind of people I talked about is, essentially: sucks to be you?

It's a matter of perspective, friend. I've come to value anticipation almost as much as the experience, and understand how much rarity makes the dessert sweeter. There are 14 year olds who are going to have much more time to play the game than I ever will. Sucks to be me. I have friends I'd like to play with on the west coast who get online about the time I want to go to bed. Sucks to be me. You're conflating frequency, accessibility, and opportunity with quality, and I think that's the wrong paradigm for raids.

When Halo 2 came out, all my friends I played with at LANs stopped playing for various reasons. The result was that although I played thousands of Halo 2 matches, I rarely had as much fun as I had had during Halo 1 LANs, when we had to lug CRTs from house to house.

If you have a passion to do something, you'll find time to do it and people to do it with, and that passion makes the game more fun when you do get to play. Gaming by appointment actually adds meaning to the activity. I know this from experience.

I contend that dropping in and out of raids would be detrimental for all concerned in that no one is getting the experience they are supposed to get. Bungie has put barriers to entry there for a reason, and I think the reason is to raise the quality and level of commitment of your teammates, which greatly affects the quality of the experience and probably is necessary for it to be a good one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread