Oh please... (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, August 25, 2014, 16:44 (3543 days ago) @ Kermit

Regarding the happy medium, maybe Destiny won't hit that, but let's just consider that Bungie themselves unleashed many of the demons we've come to expect from matchmaking and perhaps now they're being aggressive in the other direction regarding communication with strangers. Perhaps this is all the result of asking one question over and over: what is fun?

-Fun is not some dudebro singing or playing music.

Well, sure, in your opinion...

-Fun is not being abused for your skill level or your gamertag or your gender or your accent or what have you.

in your opinion...

-Fun is not very often the result of voice chat with people you don't know.

very much in your opinion.
I have enjoyed all of those things before, although I will say "abused" is a pretty weighted term and one that I wouldn't have used.

On the other hand...

-Fun is playing and communicating in-game with people you actually know.

-Fun is playing with friends to tackle a challenge that requires coordination.

-Fun is when a game provides events (and I don't mean public events explicitly--I mean experiences that make it worth the effort to plan and schedule an activity with others).

Having some barriers that prevent any random person from ruining your game experience seems to be what this is all about. Leveraging human networks as they actually exist in the non-game world seems like a decent approach to foster the kind of experiences Bungie wants us to have.

No one said there shouldn't be any barriers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread