Oh please... (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 13:38 (3540 days ago) @ Kermit

Regarding the happy medium, maybe Destiny won't hit that, but let's just consider that Bungie themselves unleashed many of the demons we've come to expect from matchmaking and perhaps now they're being aggressive in the other direction regarding communication with strangers. Perhaps this is all the result of asking one question over and over: what is fun?

-Fun is not some dudebro singing or playing music.

Well, sure, in your opinion...

-Fun is not being abused for your skill level or your gamertag or your gender or your accent or what have you.

in your opinion...

-Fun is not very often the result of voice chat with people you don't know.

very much in your opinion.
I have enjoyed all of those things before, although I will say "abused" is a pretty weighted term and one that I wouldn't have used.

Abuse is the perfect term for what I'm talking about.

You're being over-dramatic. People will say awful (awful) things to you, that's how people are. Granted, games are usually supposed to let you escape from life, but it's a game where you're constantly playing with other people. Heck, I'm on your friends list and you talk to me on here and we're having (what seems to be) a heated disagreement. You cannot avoid people being unpleasant unless you just don't engage with society, and it bothers me that this game would allow you and encourage you to do just that in its virtual world.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it's evident that you'd rather climb a tree to disagree than stand on the ground and cede a point.

I don't see how you could fail to understand what I'm talking about, but I'll spell it out: I believe voice chat should be more open and more possible than it was in the beta, because a lot people (including myself) greatly enjoy it and place great value on it. I believe this in spite of people who don't want the evil randoms to intrude upon their ears, because it should and in all likelihood will be trivial for Bungie to put in functionality, and players to use functionality, that lets them mute individual players and shut out random players altogether.
I will say that certain people seem to have forgotten you can invite people to your fireteam or to party chat, but I believe those options are, to be frank, just not good enough (especially if they don't fix the thing where you have to go to orbit to form a chat-enabled fireteam). It's not good enough because people are reluctant to reach out to talk in-game or respond to others reaching out, and some have virtually no chance of reaching out in-game-- for example, you and I.
As for ceding a point, if it's a point I believe in, yes, wouldn't you do the same?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread