Take. A. Joke. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 09, 2015, 16:51 (3335 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The way I look at it is that many of my favorite things were made by hugely smart, experienced people... and were almost total disasters!

Halo almost didn't have system-link multiplayer... and of course changed from real time tactical to 3rd person open world to FPS...
Halo 2 was a train wreck of a development process that saw the end of the game lopped off.
Tomb Raider 2013 suffered huge development challenges and didn't start to come together for years
Aquaria started as an RPG and, if I read between the lines right, the lead developer nearly committed suicide making it and his artist friend will now no longer work with him because of that.
Toy Story was actually cancelled briefly because Disney, of all companies, didn't know how to make a good animated movie
A Bug's Life was Pixar's Halo 2 in that it very nearly broke people and friendships
The iPhone 4 suffered from the "You're holding it wrong" antenna / signal strength issue
Destiny's engineering, we now know, took some two years longer than Bungie hoped and did cut into gameplay / world development time.

So when someone says they have an easy fix or they could do something better if they had the money I have to be highly skeptical. I think the reality is doing complex things really well is really hard no matter how many people you have or what level of talent you possess, or how much money you can throw at the problem.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread