PS4 vs XBO?

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, May 27, 2013, 12:28 (3958 days ago) @ ManKitten

The information/patents/rumors that keep coming out regarding the X1 has already made me decide to not get it, irrespective of what happens at E3.

- the Xbox must connect to the internet for at least five minutes a day

- the Kinect sensor will always be "on" to some degree even when the console is off (to listen for voice commands at the very least)

- the Kinect sensor MUST be connected to the console for it to function

- the Kinect sensor will be able to recognize peoples' faces and link them with Xbox accounts

- at least one recognizable face must be in the Kinect's field of vision to watch movies/TV or play games

- Microsoft has pitched the ideas to investors of (1) stopping playback of a movie if the Kinect sensor detects more viewers than a certain amount, at which point it could require paying for additional viewing licenses, and (2) identifying things like the jerseys being worn by viewers for more targeted advertisements

- the Kinect sensor will be able to monitor heart rate and facial expression and, correlating this with what's being shown on screen, can use this information to produce more targeted advertisements

- the Kinect sensor's IR camera can see even in total darkness

At this point, whatever happens with used games is the least of my concerns with the console. And, even though Sony hasn't said definitively one way or the other, rumor has it they'll also be implementing some form of used-game DRM.

I hooked back up my Dreamcast yesterday (playing through Starlancer at the moment), and I'm considering picking up a Gamecube since those two were the last pure gaming consoles made and I'm quite frankly pining for such an era. But beyond that, I think my future is in PC gaming.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread