I hate being a gamer :(

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 12:26 (3978 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I don't see where Microsoft gets off on calling backwards compability "backwards"

I feel like you're taking that statement as an insult against your (and everyone else's) desire to have backwards compatibility. It isn't meant that way. It's a statement about whether that step would make sense from Microsoft's perspective. Unfortunately Mattrick didn't go into detail, but I assume he meant that because of the totally different architecture between 360 and XBOne that it would be a significant investment in engineering and support, and all they'd accomplish is emulation which has historically been crap. Think the 360's half-assed original XBox support, or the better-but-still-not-perfect PS2 support after they took the PS2 hardware out of the PS3. He was just trying to say that including backwards compatibility would drag the console down in other ways, and MS doesn't feel it's worth it.

When I hook up my Xbox One, I will still need to keep my 360 and PS3 at the ready. That's bullshit. Pardon my ignorance, but this functionality seems like easy work for an essential bulletpoint for consumers to appreciate.

Eh, I don't think it's really very easy. If it was, the 360's original XBox support would have been good and I would be able to play RalliSport Challenge 2 right now. :( The sad face is to indicate that although I disagree, I am sympathetic. ;)

So right now the PS4 is in my good graces. More worrisome than that are the games. I'm not going to buy either until I can buy enough great exclusive games that equal the amount I paid for the console itself. The Xbox 360 still has plenty of exciting games coming out. It has Netflix, YouTube, and Crunchyroll accessibility. I don't need another "all-in-one box."

Can't argue with the games thing. For me, getting Forza 5 is worth it, but YMMV, as they say. Also on the all-in-one thing. I'm getting an XBOne purely because of a game. I couldn't care less about the TV functionality, although I do like the multi-tasking idea a lot.

Destiny alone won't sell a console for me. All of my gamer friends are on Xbox Live and I don't expect them to buy Xbox One anytime soon. It'll be an Xbox 360 buy for me initially and I won't rule out buying it for PS4 or Xbox One later on.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Also, why does the new Kinect have to be so fucking creepy?

I dunno. The crux of this for me is going to be, what is it doing when the console's off? Microsoft has said that all it does is listen for the phrase "XBox - on." IF that turns out to be true, then I don't mind it. The thing about computers, and machines in general, is they do what they're programmed to do, and nothing else. If, in its low-power state, Kinect isn't capable of doing anything beyond listening for two words, then that's all it does. Kinect isn't going to randomly decide one day to post naked pictures of me to Twitter just because it decides it hates me. And frankly, if it does anything else when it's off, I'll figure out a way around it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread