They came with ads, and I said nothing...

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 16:12 (3980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wait, what is wrong with ads? They are unobtrusive, and I'd rather not pay and be mildly inconvenienced (at worst) then to pay for something. I do use Adblock, but only on certain sites; most places haven't earned my ire and I'm happy to support them.

seeing as how there are other games / game systems and other activities that don't treat me like a product.

Wait, what? The anti-console thing I get, although I don't agree with, but tell me I'm misinterpreting you. The way I'm reading this, you're complaining the game is tracking your information to provide ads. Where the heck did that come from? Again, correct me if I'm wrong; this seems out of nowhere. It's just, last time I played a game, I didn't get any commercials doing it. Heck, the extent of the data mining of the Dash is it gives me ads I actually care about. Well, about games I care about; I don't really ever click ads.

THIS IS WHY IT MATTERS. The public's tacit acceptance of ads on their gaming console has opened the door to further invasion of your leisure time by advertisers, in ways you might NOT find easy to ignore.

I've always hated this; You don't have to oppose something that is mildly annoying just because it could lead to something worse. Accepting something doesn't make you implicit in them taking it overboard. And what exactly are they doing that is overboard? Because I highly doubt they are tying your face to ads; if they are, I'd stand against that. But can we wait to actually hear some facts before arranging a boycott? There are certainly data mining and ad practices that are despicable, but just tailoring ads to what you've played is really not that big a deal. You should be able to disable that, but it isn't worth a boycott. Of course, I'm fairly certain you're looking for reasons to dislike this thing, but that's fine by me. Just to clarify, if they ARE doing despicable things, I'm out and consider this retracted. I just doubt they are because of how monumentally stupid it would be to do most of these things.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread