I hate being a gamer :(

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 17:04 (3984 days ago) @ stabbim

I dunno. The crux of this for me is going to be, what is it doing when the console's off? Microsoft has said that all it does is listen for the phrase "XBox - on." IF that turns out to be true, then I don't mind it. The thing about computers, and machines in general, is they do what they're programmed to do, and nothing else. If, in its low-power state, Kinect isn't capable of doing anything beyond listening for two words, then that's all it does. Kinect isn't going to randomly decide one day to post naked pictures of me to Twitter just because it decides it hates me. And frankly, if it does anything else when it's off, I'll figure out a way around it.

Actually, while your statement about computers doing only what they're programmed for is true, one has to take into consideration that firmware updates are commonplace even within the 360's environment. So there is always the potential for the XBO to do just what you described, even if it, originally, was only programmed to listen for "Xbox - on".

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread