I just jumped back in as well. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 23:13 (2695 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This is funny. After taking a break from Destiny for ~6 weeks, I reinstalled it so that I could participate in the Flawless Raider anniversary tomorrow night. After the download finished, I went to the Temple, saw that it was Iron Banner week, and decided to play a few games to get my feet wet again. Holy crap O_o.

I do like how Titanfall 2's larger maps allow for a larger difference in engagement ranges. That said, I think most of your complaints come from preferring a faster, twitchier game over a slower, more deliberately paced one.

The more I think about it, the more I think I disagree with this assessment of the 2 games. Destiny is slower, absolutely. But I don't actually think it is more deliberate or strategic. The action in Titanfall is lightning-quick, but the size of the maps and sheer amount of traversal possibilities actually creates a far more thoughtful gameplay loop, IMO. In Destiny, depending on the map and gametype, it is very likely that I will see red pings on my radar the moment I spawn. At best, there are only ever 2 or 3 possible ways to get from one point in the map to another, and given how crowded the maps are, that means I'm under fire almost instantly. If the enemy team has established positions covering both exits from my spawn point, then I'm literally out of tactical options. All I can do is put myself into the line of fire and hope I can outgun my opponent, despite the fact that they have the better position.
But in Titanfall, I always have time to think. To set up a plan. Once that plan is in motion, I need to react and think quickly because of all the shifting possibilities, but I'm always thinking. I end up at the top of the scoreboard more often than not... not because I've got the best aim or the fastest reflexes, but because I'm always thinking about possible escape routes, how I'm going to react to an ambush if it comes from this angle or that angle. It is extremely rare that I ever feel like I'm out of options in a game of Titanfall, whereas Destiny constantly makes me feel like I just have to walk into a bad situation and hope for the best.

That, and your connection might maybe be complete crap? Sure, I see a guy lagging here and there in Destiny. Maybe a guy every other game who I peg as being annoying to kill because he just isn't moving right. But all this getting rocketed through walls and stuff? I simply do not have those kind of problems. Period.

Purely anecdotal, but I have a pretty solid connection. Not once have I been killed through a wall or around a corned in Titanfall. But in the 3 matches of Rift that I played today, I experienced such deaths 5-6 times per match. I only mention this because it is completely consistent with my overall experience with Destiny for 2+ years now.

Now, give me Titanfall's Titans and larger maps + Destiny's better, slower paced, more strategic on foot combat and I'd be totally in love. :)

So I've already talked about why I think Destiny's combat is less strategic than Titanfall, but there is another element that comes into play for me. Kahzgul touched on this in his original post, but Titanfall's speed and "snappy" controls create another advantage: the ability to react. Everything in Titanfall moves faster than Destiny, that much is obvious. But more significantly, I think Titanfall's movement speeds, input response time, and time to kill are better tuned to each other. Going back to Destiny today, I was shocked how often I died because I was trying to turn and maneuver my character back behind cover but he just. wouldn't. move. Even though kill times in Destiny are slightly slower, they feel too fast given the sluggish movement and reaction time of your character. I felt like I was moving through molasis the entire time. I would see an enemy come around a corner, and I'd instantly start jamming on the thumb stick, trying to make my guardian side-step behind cover... and he would eventually take the 3 or 4 steps to the right, safely behind cover, and then I'd drop dead anyway. Between the sluggish movement, iffy hit detection, and the "unreliable narrator" that is Destiny's net code, I often feel like the game creates situations where I can't possibly react quickly enough to change the outcome.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread