I just jumped back in as well. (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 13:59 (2694 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So I've already talked about why I think Destiny's combat is less strategic than Titanfall, but there is another element that comes into play for me. Kahzgul touched on this in his original post, but Titanfall's speed and "snappy" controls create another advantage: the ability to react. Everything in Titanfall moves faster than Destiny, that much is obvious. But more significantly, I think Titanfall's movement speeds, input response time, and time to kill are better tuned to each other. Going back to Destiny today, I was shocked how often I died because I was trying to turn and maneuver my character back behind cover but he just. wouldn't. move. Even though kill times in Destiny are slightly slower, they feel too fast given the sluggish movement and reaction time of your character. I felt like I was moving through molasis the entire time. I would see an enemy come around a corner, and I'd instantly start jamming on the thumb stick, trying to make my guardian side-step behind cover... and he would eventually take the 3 or 4 steps to the right, safely behind cover, and then I'd drop dead anyway. Between the sluggish movement, iffy hit detection, and the "unreliable narrator" that is Destiny's net code, I often feel like the game creates situations where I can't possibly react quickly enough to change the outcome.

It strikes me how often I at least turn in time to see who killed me in Titanfall.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread