One thing I didn't see commented upon (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 20:29 (2668 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Titanfall is still one of the only games where "Oh what the hell" turns into "HOLY SHIT THAT WORKED" on such a consistent basis.

You think it, you can do it. Never seen anything like it in any game ever.

That phenomenon is a big part of what made me love Halo so much. Using a grenade to flip a warthog over a rock and splatter the shotgun-camper hiding on the other side was not an everyday occurrence, but it felt incredible when it worked :D

Another game that had a similar dynamic (in a very different way) was Spies vs Mercs in Splinter Cell Blacklist. Not so much in terms of the physics engine, but little tactical details that make you go "hmmm... I wonder...", and then totally end up working out the way you'd hoped it would. For example, one of the gadgets the mercenaries could deploy was a land mine that would detonate and kill any spy that walked over them. The spies could equip a countermeasure though: an EMP burst that would detonate any land mines within range.
One day, I was hiding up in the rafters, watching an enemy merc patrol the hallway below me. He planted a land mine, and I noticed something during the animation: he pulled the mine out of a satchel, then pressed a button to arm it before throwing it at the wall. According to the animation, there was a split second where the mine was live while still in the merc's hands. "I wonder...", I thought to myself.
I continued to watch the merc walk around. He started to move towards a doorway that looked to me like a good spot to plant another mine. Anticipating his next move, I fired my EMP. It's not an instant attack. There's a brief charge, and then the shockwave radiates out from my character. Just as my EMP is charging, I see the merc reach back into his satchel bag. My EMP shockwave bursts out of my suit and is rushing towards him just as his finger is coming down on the button to arm the mine. He presses the button the moment before my EMP blast hits him. The mine explodes in his hands, killing him. And the 2nd merc who had just walked up beside him. :D

That's freaking sexy as hell.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread