they both restrict you in different ways (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 22:38 (2696 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Plus, if there is a gun in Titanfall 2 that you really want to use, you can unlock it at any time with in-game credits, bypassing the entire level-up climb.

Implying that you don't have to grind for credits too...

On your first playthrough, you can't avoid the walled off gear. Sure, you can earn enough Credits to unlock one or two pieces of gear before you level up enough to unlock things through level grinding, but you still have to put the time in just for that opportunity.

Yes, you need to put in *some* time. But Titanfall is on a completely different scale than Destiny in this regard. You earn credits constantly for playing any game mode, credits are plentiful, and unlocks are cheap. I've earned 350 credits in less than a week on Xbox... Unlocking Tone cost 15 credits, I think?
And as I said in my reply to Raga's post, I jumped into my very first game on equal footing with players who have everything unlocked. They have more options at their disposal, yes. But the starting gear is every bit as strong and effective as the unlocks at the end of the progression.
It's not remotely compatible to Destiny in this regard.

Nice try at being slick by offering the cheapest item in the game to sell your narrative, man. ;)

Around a week of playing to get 350c huh?

Okay, well, say you want a better kit than the useless "Kill Report". That's going to set you back 225c.
Want a different Primary? 100c.

Well, a week of grinding, and you can only afford two Unlocks (And Tone, if for whatever reason you magically haven't hit Rank 11 to unlock it after a week). Wow, you're right, no grinding needed at all! You'll have things unlocked in no time!

Want a more useful grenade? 220c.
A different Tactical? 180c.
Huh, how about just a different shader for your pilot? 150c
An execution animation? 300c, and one can't be bought, you have to grind for it (30 successful executions).

But, but Cruel said that unlocks are cheap!

Uhhh... Well, a Pistol is only 50c! Only a few hours of grinding! "But I don't want a pistol." Then get back out there and Grind!

I've put 20 hours into the game, and I only have 548c, and the only thing that I spent credits on was the Archer, because otherwise I'd have to grind until I was level 43(!) to unlock it normally. The fact that I can do well with a Charge rifle is irrelevant. I don't like the default Charge rifle, but I have no choice but to grind just to be able to buy the gun that I do want.

For folks who aren't hardcore players at the top of the scoreboard, that grind is going to be even longer, since the speed at which you level is directly tied to your performance. So yeh, not much different than Destiny, where you're grinding for Legendary marks to buy stuff from Factions and Vendors.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread