More Titanfall > Destiny PvP Stuff I Noticed (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 20:17 (2668 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Titanfall isn't a shooter. It's a time based puzzle. Movement and shooting are the tools you use to solve the puzzle.

Discuss?

In one sense, all shooters work this way. In another sense, puzzles require you to be able to see the entire game board in order to solve the puzzle. At no point in time is Titanfall (or any other shooter I can think of) like that. An RTS could realistically be described as a puzzle, I suppose, and some MMO boss fights definitely are entirely puzzles (that you let someone else solve and post a video of for you to copy the next night.. grrr... where's the fun in that?), but FPS games are not really like that in the PvP landscape. Destiny's raids are also puzzles to be solved, but even when you know the solution to the puzzle, if you aren't high enough light level you still can't win, so there's a RPG leveling element as well that is semi-RNG based and out of your hands... Still puzzle-esque, imo.

Anyway, I'd agree that the slower an FPS game plays, the more it plays like a puzzle rather than a twitch shooter.

Then maybe I'll say it another way: to do well in Titanfall, you must be conscious of first the amount of time required to your next Titan and then once you have your Titan the amount of time until your next core. To win, you must always be doing things to achieve those goals. If you're not shooting something, even if you're not killing it, you're on your way to losing.

I mean, duh, right? But it feels focused in a way other games aren't. Maybe I don't play enough twitch shooters, like Korny said, because I remember kill streaks and stuff in MW2 kind of working this way.

But I dunno. It's just with Titanfall... something that stands out in my mind, screaming at me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread