Let's talk PvP Weapon Balance (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 01:11 (3018 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If you're saying it's dumb to trick a shotgunner into facing left and only for you to attack him from the right, well, that should not be dumb. That is a tactical play which I would like to see rewarded more often. A good player with good positioning catching another good player off guard with poor positioning should win the 1v1, regardless of whether they're using a primary or special weapon. A great player should still be able to get away or turn the tables, but good v. good in that situation shouldn't be a question.

I understand that you'd like to be able to kill an unaware opponent with primary before they can turn around and shotgun you - but why limit yourself to one way of killing, and then complain about that?

The point. The ENTIRE point. Is that catching someone totally unawares, even if all of your special and heavy ammo is gone, and your melee and grenade are both on cooldown, should STILL be enough of an opportunity to get a kill that the smart play is to go for the kill and not to say "fuck it" and run away whenever your skills are on cooldown and you don't have special ammo. The game should be designed in such a way that the optimal way to play PvP is for full health characters to seek out combat rather than flee from it.

If I come around a corner and see someone's back, maybe I'll stick them and turn around. Maybe I'll take two shots with my primary as I run to them for a punch to finish the job. There are plenty of options that DON'T require me to go straight up primary vs secondary... and that's good, because primary SHOULDN'T beat secondary, unless 1) you're good, 2) they're bad, or 3) you're lucky.

You can't stick when your grenade is on cooldown

If you take two shots with primary and run up to melee you're dead by shotgun 25% of the time in my scenario.

I agree that primary shouldn't beat secondary if both players are facing each other at the same time with similar skill levels, but in my experience (and I am a very experienced player), primary still loses to secondary about 25% of the time in circumstances where I believe it should always beat secondary. Namely when the enemy is facing the complete wrong direction.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread