Let's talk PvP Weapon Balance (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:45 (3017 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The problem here is that your argument is that you have out maneuvered them, but you are still using a primary in shotgun range. Which means no, you didn't. It is an option not to engage the target. Or to wait for hem to get a little farther away or to backpedal as you engage. Your example is an example of blundering into a combat situation you are not positioned for.

By design you are supposed to have time to react to being engaged, unless it is by overwhelming force. And you should lost to a special weapon when you are within their optimum effective range band.

I'm totally for making special weapons more skill based, but for a shotgun it's all movement and positioning. And if turning around is all it takes to have the upper hand...

No, no. I'm specifically trying to use an example where you're not in shotgun OHK range. The shotgunner is still able to turn and close the gap and kill you all before you get him with your hand cannon. Or the sniper is able to turn and headshot you even though you're really close to him. The point is that being outside "optimal" special weapon range is not always enough to actually prevent being killed by them, even when you have the element of surprise on your side.

Maybe making backpedaling while ADSing faster would be enough to solve the issue as far as shotguns go, but it wouldn't resolve snipers.

Anyway, it's not all the time that this happens, just a sizeable percentage (in my experience, around 25% of the time, which I find unacceptably high). I think that it's just illustrative of the power gap between primary and secondary weapons, and I think the "fix" that bungie made to limit secondary ammo is a poor fix which has created more problems than it solved while simultaneously making crucible less fun to play and less competitive once one team establishes secondary ammo control on a map.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread