Here we go...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, August 26, 2013, 22:00 (3893 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, August 26, 2013, 22:12

Because it betrays your intentions. If you are making a game with the purpose of it being a huge cultural phenomenon, then your motives are not pure and you aren't making the game with the desire of merely making a good game. It's like the girl who moves to Hollywood to take up acting in order to become famous, versus the girl who loves acting, but happens to become famous because she's really good and dedicated.

I think people are picking up on that, although not as strongly in such a... well not in the same way you are.

Such a statement just reeks of insecurity.

It seemed more like arrogance or cockiness to me, basically the opposite of insecurity. Come to think of it, you see that in a lot of the things game companies say and do, even when they're very different statements or very different groups of people....

What kind of cultural impact did Marathon or Myth make? None. But does that diminish what good games they are, or all the fun all the Bungie fans since then have had playing those games?
See, most good art is good because the artists are passionate about their art or the ideas they wish to express. That's what connects people.

It's one of the things that connects people. There are a lot of others and I don't think it's wise to ignore them. To be honest, I don't know kind of connection you're referring to, so it would be helpful to clear that up if you're going to respond. Anyway I'm more with Kermit and rhubarb, it's kind of nebulous regardless.

I've always said that the games industry is full of people who envy hollywood and film's ability to reach a mass audience. YOU ARE A VIDEO GAME COMPANY. I would hope that if you say you want your game to go on a shelf, what's on that shelf is not Lord of the Ring, or Star Wars, or Harry Potter, but rather Civilization, Doom, Mario 3, Starcraft, Quake, Deus Ex, Metal Slug, Day of the Tentacle, Sim City, R-Type, Vanquish. You know. AMAZING GAMES. In fact that whole shelf statement is extraordinarily ignorant, but it's just one dude at Bungie, so whatever.

The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were books for years before they were movies, and going by your logic (here and elsewhere) the movies were successful because they were written like the books, so it sounds to me like he means they're aiming to have a large, high-quality story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread