These are the kind of threads...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, August 26, 2013, 22:33 (3894 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I think you have good points and you're right about all of this... except he did say "We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars"; saying "on the same shelf" could mean a lot of things, including cultural impact.

Right. Could being the key word.

Plus, is it that important even if he did mean that way?

He's putting forth their ambitions, their dreams, not necessarily their method and inspiration. I really doubt every designer, artist, and engineer at Bungie are sitting there in front of their screens thinking "what way can I draw this ship or sculpt this enemy or balance this weapon to have the most cultural impact?" They're probably thinking "How can I do this to make Destiny better?" And later, before they fall asleep: "Man, I hope I was right, and I hope Destiny does well and has an impact, because it's a big game and we've put a lot at stake here for it to succeed." And I think anybody who makes their stories or entertainment public in a commercial sphere has hopes and worries in this way.

I would hate to have a forum dissect every comment I make during the day. There are so many intentions and interpretations dependent on so many important details! Even if you get it right, should every thing I say define me and everything I do absolutely? I say things that are half-right or all-wrong all the time, as I try to get closer to conveying the truth. I think everybody does this in varying degrees, even people in the public spotlight do.

Don't we all sometimes think "what the hell did I just say?" I don't know, I have that thought a LOT, even when I'm thinking really hard on what to say (or post). :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread