Addendum from one of your HBO posts, Cody

by HawaiianPig, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 16:32 (3887 days ago) @ Leviathan

Side Note: I'm curious as to where Halo 4 fits in. I haven't played it, nor do I plan to. I don't know anything about it. From what I hear, I think I might be better off that way. Maybe some day... If I find the time and can justify burning some money. If I do, I'll be sure to buy it used.

No spoilers here, but it does the big story well, and it TRIES to do the little story, but fails in a head slapping way.

Another opinion: the big story makes no sense, mostly due to a complete lack of explanation and exposition of your enemies and their intentions, but the attempts to do the little story is well done and personal - it just doesn't resonate since you have no idea why you're doing what you doing.

But I also thought Halo 3 was the most emotional, balancing a conclusive third act of an epic with the most emotional and grounded versions of the characters, so you guys should probably just ignore me on your paths to enlightenment.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed Halo 3. It was a satisfying conclusion. I had been speculating for years prior about how the Halo trilogy would end. The answers to the big questions were revealed with effective pacing and were enough to leave me contented.

The post above was more on how I thought it squandered potential for a more compelling "small" story. I can think of a few areas that could have used a little focus. ...and some areas that could have used less.

But, you seem to think they pulled it off? I'm curious. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the parts of the story that you thought did this? Maybe I'm forgetting things that should have stuck out to me more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread