Addendum from one of your HBO posts, Cody

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 23:45 (3885 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 23:50

I can give ya the next one, but I don't know about this one. It definitely LOOKED cool, but I don't think it explained the ancient human history very well. My girlfriend who has played the main Halo trilogy only had absolutely no idea what was going on. Hell, I could barely understand it. There were way too many new twists and concepts in a such a short amount of time. They should have spread it out throughout the game, along with exposition on the Didact and why he wasn't just a simple vampire wanting to murder Earth - which is all my girlfriend grasped as well. It was only in his after credits monologue that we had any interesting depth to his character and hint of understanding to his goals. But that's not a very good place for that to start happening, hah!

Heh. I only half remembered the scene as I was writing this part. I think, if you take the Halo 4 terminals as a whole, and combine them with the knowledge in the first two Forerunner books, you'll see that 343 was actually doing a really good job of expanding Halo's story. They managed to add in a new, interesting twist to Humanity's past that still fit with the already established Halo story. That's pretty cool.

If not for the Didact being evil for no real reason I think Halo 4 would have been looked on much more favorably. They had several ways out. This Didact could have been driven mad by his encounter with the Flood or torture at the hands of the Master Builder. Or this Didact could somehow know (and / or perhaps be obsessed with the idea) that the Flood / Precursor threat was still out there and stopping them was more important than his wife's plans for Humanity. Instead we got no hints that he was crazy, and no real hints about his motivation. He wanted an army… apparently… but we weren't even really told what he wanted on for!

Long story short, Halo 4 was almost the best Halo game ever but for a few major plot and character flubs, the lack of Halo music, and some really bad sound effects. (Warthog, I am looking at you especially!)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread