These are the kind of threads...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, August 26, 2013, 22:08 (3867 days ago) @ Leviathan

... that wake me up from the internet-daze and make me realize my brain is picking apart some guy's random statement that we may or may not have interpreted right, and am now debating with other people what this other guy meant and the merits of those meanings...

And I just think 'what am I doing with my life', hah?

(I'm all for people wanting to capture lightning in a bottle -because lightning in a bottle is cool-looking- and totally understand why someone on the public side of Bungie would want to advertise Destiny as a game made by people who want it to be epic. Because if you don't want a game about superheros fighting aliens across a solar system in an epic war to be epic, then why would you make that game? And that's all he could be saying- is that it's going to be big in scope and epic in content, similar to those other titles he mentioned. He never actually says 'cultural impact' in that interview.)

I think you have good points and you're right about all of this... except he did say "We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars"; saying "on the same shelf" could mean a lot of things, including cultural impact.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread