And Back to Video Games

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 16:48 (3865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I got into trouble at work for refusing to live the way "they wanted me to live" and was not considered for promotion.

Do you mean they wanted you to work longer hours i.e. devote more of your life to work?

No, it wasn't that, I was already working more hours then my co-workers but I chose to do so. I truly enjoyed the work I did and I was like a kid in a candy store. I was told that I wasn't working up to my immediate supervisors estimation of my potential. The problem I had with this was the potential he spoke of didn't serve his career goals. He told me, "you are here to further my career and I was supposed to make him look good". This is the wrong thing to say to me. I will never work to further someone else's career. I seek no status. I expect to receive fair compensation for my work, and making lots of money has never been a goal of mine. There was about a year of bullshit I had to take from this lazy asshole, but he ended up crapping in his own bead and he was removed from my department. Oh, and his manager got into a crap load of trouble too during this and was fired.

Isn't it fascinating that while our productivity greatly increased, through the use of technique and technology, instead of choosing to work less and have more free time, we instead chose to work MORE? It's perhaps the greatest cultural mistake we have ever made! I mean, if back in the day it took you 8 hours to do some task, but now it takes 2, then why are we not working 2 hour days with the same pay? Instead we work 8 hours and do 4 tasks.

The problem with advancing technology is that it replaces people and more people end up out of work. America has become a service economy and our manufacturing strength has been systematically shipped overseas. I shudder to think what this country will look like in ten years!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread