We both know that Halo stories have been done very well

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:05 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

Did Halo do xenophobia better than Starman, Starship Troopers, or American History X?

Did Halo do genocide better than The Killing Fields, As We Forgive, or The Devil Came On Horseback?

Did Halo do War better than Full Metal Jacket, The Bridge on the River Kwai, or The Deer Hunter?

Did Halo do pride better than A face in the Crowd, Network, or Breaking Bad?

Did Halo do deception better than Usual Suspects, Godfather, or Some like it Hot?

Morality and Philosophy aren't that specific.

Let's get real. It might have touched on those topics, but you have to admit it says nothing substantial, nuanced, or insightful about any of what you just said. And if you think so, then watch any of what I listed; you'll realize what I'm saying here. The Halo story was a really good backdrop to a very fun game, but not anything of great worth when it isn't supporting the Halo universe. As are most video game stories, and as the SHOULD be.

Why are we comparing Halo to the (commonly held) pinnacles of media? Was anyone making the argument that Halo was one of the best pieces of media in history? I believe the argument was that Halo's story writing was good, not the best.

Maybe because this is a thread about Bungie wanting Destiny to be taken seriously and comparing it to a film, when I don't believe they have the writing talent to achieve that goal?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread